Greens are an essential part of a vegan’s diet (and should be part of anyone’s for that matter!) They are a great source of protein, as well as many other essential vitamins + minerals.
This recipe can be made as a side or topping of any dish that works (stir frys would be a good example) and be adapted to any greens – spinach, Swiss chard, all kinds of kale, etc.
Jerk fried Kale
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
- 1/2 – 1 full bunch of kale, ripped up and rinsed. (I used black dino kale in the photo above)
- Oil (olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil or any other oil you’d prefer), approx 1 tbsp or more if required
- Black pepper to taste
- Jerk Seasoning to taste (I use a blend I bought in Ocho Rios, Jamaica – but if you don’t have any handy – this is a good reference as to what exactly is contained in a typical jerk seasoning) (I used about 2 tbsp)
- Chop garlic a few times and then let sit while you work on the kale. Let that allicin build up!
- Rinse kale while still whole, then rip pieces into into a bowl, discarding the stems.
- Heat up the oil for a moment in the frying pan, and then add the minced garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add the kale & turn heat on low, stirring/flipping from time to time. Keep in mind, the kale will cook down, and the longer you cook it the crispier it will become. (I’d recommend letting the kale cook for at least 8-10 minutes prior to continuing)
- Add pepper, continue cooking for about 3-5 min longer.
- Add jerk seasoning, keep cooking until desired crispness.
- Serve + enjoy!
Makes enough for 1 large serving, or 2 medium sides.
Originally posted October 2/15.