I personally felt this way a couple of weeks ago. Not only did I feel like I had been hit by a truck, my breathing was shallow, my nose constricted, my sinuses packed and just “thick”. Blahhhh.
Now I do have asthma, so this feeling is definitely common in the winter months for me, sometimes even a daily occurence – but with some online research and a few trial and errors, I have found that this is a good tool, among many, to help me combat illness this season!
Now before I go on, it is important to note that you must consume enough water so that the ingredients of this powerhouse will be able to work to their full ability. I suggest drinking 1 cup of water before and after consuming this shot, and as much water as you possibly can through out the day.
I call this the “Killem” shot because these ingredients will be destroying that sickness, your excess toxins and that gross feeling associated with being sick.
- 2.5 tbsp Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (I use Bragg’s – it has to be raw though, no heinz here please)
- 1-2 tbsp grated frozen lemon (or more if you wish)
- 1-2 dashes cayenne pepper (the more congested you are, the more I suggest you use – but no more than 3 dashes)
- 1 tbsp raw honey (note: Honey is NOT vegan. I usually do not consume honey, however I am aware that honey does have a lot of medicinal properties, far more than agave or maple syrup. I made an exception for this health-y concoction because I’d like to think bees are typically not harmed by honey extraction, and it is a lot more humane than consuming, say milk or butter. I could be completely wrong, but this is my own opinion.) That being said, if you’re not able to overlook the fact that honey is not vegan, please sub for agave syrup or maple syrup.
- Combine all ingredients into container (small bowl or cup)
- Stir with a spoon or whisk until smooth.
- Pour into shot glass (optional)
- Consume immediately – bottoms up!
- If you want to get the most out of the ingredients – I recommend swirling around some filtered water in the bowl/container and the shot glass and consuming the water as well.
I got this idea from FoodLamor.com and remixed it a bit. Definitely check out the original and see which you prefer! 🙂
Originally posted October 19/15.